Sunday, July 10, 2005

Hualien City/ Taroko Mountains

Hualien is a city about 3 hours north (by train) of Taitung. On Friday, July 8th, we took the train up and met up with Xorla and Kim (they teach in the same program I do, but on the East coast). We rented scooters and drove into the mountains that night. It was scary to look down over the edge.... but we made it safe up to our hostel rooms. I walked out of my room and I just screamed by head off when I saw the biggest, I mean biggest frog I have ever seen. This old froggie was the size of nerf football. Wow, I couldn't believe it! Other than that and the cockroaches and spiders in our rooms, it was a good nights rest.

Saturday morning was bright, so we headed out to go hiking on some trails and into the Water Curtains. My favourite was the curtains- don't see this kind of thing very often. The waterfalls were beautiful. I took a video of a waterfall series and there were 5-6 waterfalls all the water down the mountain- and you could see them all from one spot.

Around supper we headed back into Hualien City for something to eat, rest, and shopping in the night market. We ended up finding a nice Indian resturant. It was a treat for Rebecca and I, as we don't have much choice in Taitung.

Sunday morning we did some more shopping (English bookstore), while Rebecca was working. And then headed back to Taitung. Always good to be home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home